|Engraving of printer using the early Gutenberg letter press during the 15th century.|
• Control over your own destiny, the word no doesn’t exist. You have control over the editing, book format, cover design, inside design, the marketing and the rights
• Speed to market is very much higher, traditional publishers can take 1-2 years to get your book to market
• Higher royalty payments from the print-on-demand sites
• More opportunity to create additional products because you keep control over all your rights
• Publishing can be close to free and with print-on-demand there is no need to have excess inventory hanging around
• No book advance
• You have to do all the work yourself, editing, design, formatting, publishing, marketing
• You don’t have a group of professional marketing people to support you. Often though these don’t really exist and a lot is put on the author to promote and market.
• If you are actually printing books you will need to front all of the printing costs.