My upcoming book, How to Build Your Own Publishing Platform, is about my self-publishing efforts and how I have built my own publishing system to promote my books. Publishing has changed a lot over the last several years. Authors have more control of the content and rights of their books and with the explosion of e-books, tablets, and print-on-demand there are more and more options. Below are some of the things I have learned in today's every changing publishing environment.
- Control over your own destiny, the word no doesn’t exist. You have control over the editing, the book layout, cover design, inside design, the marketing and the rights.
- Speed to market is very much higher, traditional publishers can take 1-2 years to get your book to market if you can attract the attention of a publisher
- Much higher royalty payments from the print-on-demand sites like CreateSpace and Lulu.com
- More opportunity to create additional products because you keep control over all your rights
- Publishing can be close to free and with print-on-demand there is no need to have excess inventory hanging around
- No book advance
- You have to do all the work yourself, editing, design, formatting, publishing and marketing
- You don’t have a group of professional marketing people to support you. Often though these people don’t really exist and a lot is put on the author to promote and market
If you would like to get a free copy of this please sign up over on the right